Employee Technology Use Policy Example – Animal Shelter
Rules Applicable to All Technology Use (Company and Personal)
This policy example has been anonymized.
The following rules apply in all of your technology use, whether on personal or Company provided technology, and whether engaging in personal or business-related communications:
- In your online activity, you may not represent that you are speaking on the Company’s behalf unless you have been given written authority from the Executive Director to engage in the activity or the activity is clearly required by your job duties and expressly authorized by the Company.
- Do not link from a personal blog, social media site, or other online activity to the Company’s intranet or external web site without identifying yourself as a Company employee. Additionally, in any online activity in which you promote or support the Company, its products, or its services, you must disclose your employment relationship, and indicate that any views expressed are your own and do not necessarily reflect those of your employer.
- In your technology use and online activity, you may not use or disclose Company, or confidential and/or proprietary information, company marketing strategies, or other confidential information unrelated to the terms and conditions of your employment. Your online activity must comply with the Company’s Confidentiality and Trade Secret Information policy in order to maintain the integrity of how we do business.
- You must not engage in communications that are vulgar, obscene, threatening, intimidating, harassing, or a violation of Company workplace policies against illegal discrimination, harassment, or hostility because of a person’s sex, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, age, pregnancy, disability, military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal or state law.
- Your communications must not include maliciously false defamatory statements. For example, do not post information or rumors you know to be false about the Company, co-workers, customers, or competitors meant to intentionally harm someone’s reputation.
- You must obey the law, including all laws governing copyright and other intellectual property. For the Company’s protection and your own, it is critical that you show proper respect for the laws governing copyright, fair use of copyrighted material owned by others, trademarks and other intellectual property, as well as the Company’s own copyrights, trademarks and brands.
- You may not use the Company’s name or logo when you are engaged, or depicted in technology use and online activity that violates Company policies, violates a law, or is otherwise unrelated to communications regarding the terms and conditions of your employment.
- All online responses to reference inquiries (via LinkedIn or other platform) or work related recommendations or endorsements must comply with the Company’s policies and practices regarding reference inquiries.
- You may not pressure co-workers to connect or communicate with them through technology use and online activity, such as harassing conduct intended to induce a social network “friend” request.
Although this policy may touch upon specific technologies used today, the policy must be interpreted broadly, as changes to and uses of such technologies have been and will continue to grow so rapidly that no policy can keep pace with individual developments. This policy is not intended to interfere with or restrain employees’ rights to engage in protected concerted activity under the National Labor Relations Act, or any other activity protected under the law, and will not be applied to limit such protected activity.
Violations of this policy may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.
If you have a question or concerns about this policy, or how your online activity may impact or be impacted by the Company’s other business policies, you should notify your manager, or contact another manager from the management team.